STEEL is a hockey development program with a focus on on-ice goalie development. Led by Rick Knickle, STEEL has assembled a team of talented instructors with a passion to deliver the highest quality on-ice goalie development. Our development platform was created by Rick and Martin Jones of the San Jose Sharks and includes variable training programs for individuals, teams and associations to meet their goalie development needs.
Rick Knickle - Lead Instructor
Rick is responsible for developing and running on-ice sessions as well as mentoring and supervising our other instructors. Rick has extensive experience as a professional goalie and in professional hockey. As a father of two boys ages 6 and 10 who both play hockey, Rick has turned his attention to coaching the goaltending position to young athletes.
- Four years WHL experience including one Memorial Cup appearance and a CHL goalie of the year award
- Seventeen years professional experience in the ECHL, AHL and NHL including two seasons in the NHL and one Stanley Cup Final appearance
- Sixteen years of NHL scouting experience including scouting for the Nashville Predators and Head Scout for the Phoenix Coyotes. Rick is currently a part time scout for the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Martin Jones, Program Development
Martin is a co-founder of STEEL and was instrumental in helping Rick develop the STEEL on-ice goalie development platform. As a product of the North Shore Winter Club, Martin saw a huge opportunity to create a high quality goalie development program based on the new facility at the club and was quick to jump on to the STEEL team. Martin is currently playing for the San Jose Sharks in the NHL, but plans to take on a larger role in the program when his professional career is over.
- Four years WHL experience with the Calgary Hitmen where he won WHL goalie of the year, WHL Playoff MVP and Memorial Cup Goalie of the Tournament awards for the 2009-2010 season
- Silver Medal playing for Team Canada in the 2010 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships
- Four years AHL experience playing for the Manchester Monarchs
- Two years NHL experience with the LA Kings including winning a Stanley Cup Championship in 2013-2014
Brett Coates-Wiedemann, Instructor
Brett was born and raised in Langley, B.C. and played minor hockey in Langley for 14 years. Brett began teaching goalie development at the age of 14, and over the past 10 years, he has coached several minor hockey teams over the Lower Mainland at the house and rep levels as well as working for various goalie development companies providing private and group sessions. Brett has also been a rep tryout evaluator for various minor hockey associations.. Brett is a full time instructor with STEEL working directly with Rick.
- 14 years with Langley Minor Hockey including multiple seasons on AA and AAA rep teams
- Multiple games played in the PIJHL and KIJHL Junior B leagues
Andrew Parent, Instructor
Andrew is a Simon Fraser University graduate and Men's Ice Hockey team alum. Andrew has taught various goalie development clinics, providing both private and group sessions. Brett is also a full-time instructor with STEEL working directly with Rick.
- Two seasons played in the KIJHL for the Revelstoke Grizzlies
- Four seasons played for Simon Fraser University Men's Ice Hockey team with a total of 42 games played
Jeff Pasemko, Instructor
Jeff was born and raised in Redwater, Alberta, and has a bachelor's degree in Communications from SUNY Geneseo. Jeff is responsible for developing and running on-ice sessions. He has worked various goalie schools in BC and Alberta and has been a goalie/assistant coaching for the past three years in Edmonton at the AAA level.
- Edmonton Area Rep Hockey including a Mac's Tournament Top Goaltender and 1st Team All-Star
- Three years Junior A - AJHL Rookie All-Star and 2nd Team Rookie
- BCHL - All-Star and Wally Forslund Trophy
- AJHL Champion, BCHL Champion, Doyle Cup Champion, Fred Page Cup Champion, Royal Bank Cup Silver Medal
- Four years NCAA experience